Though it may seem like the whole world is crashing down around you, you CAN make a difference in making it a better place.
Lately, the news is full of doom and gloom. Climate change is gaining speed, accessibility to everyday products is becoming strained, and gas prices…don’t get us started. With all this news comes a lot of weight on our daily lives, and it can be hard to know how to make a difference in what can feel like a sea of hopelessness.
Well, friends, we are here with some hope:
By the simple (and delicious) act of signing up for a CSA share, you are changing the world for the better.
We know–eat tasty, healthy food and have an immediate positive impact? Sounds too good to be true. But it is, and we’ve got a few reasons to explain why so you can convince others to join you!
- Perhaps one of the most obvious (but still important!) reasons to eat local is that local food is always going to be the freshest! Not only does this mean it will have the most possible nutritional benefits to your body, it also means that it’s less likely any of will be wasted.
- Local food doesn’t have far to travel before arriving upon your fork. This means far less fuel in transit and therefore a significant decrease in carbon emissions.
- Since your CSA isn’t coming to you from very far away, there is little-to-no single-use packaging involved in its journey to you. And at Tomato Mountain, we re-use, recycle, and/or compost just about everything your weekly goodies arrive in.
- We thoroughly vet the farms and artisans we work with, which means we look closely at their practices to ensure they’re not using poisonous herbicides/pesticides or treating their animals badly. Less noxious chemicals going into the earth = a happier earth and a healthier you.
- By spending your hard-earned dollars on food grown within a few hundred miles of your kitchen, you are giving money directly to your local economy. This can even lead to what is called a “multiplier effect“– increased employment and income in a community that then further creates more positive effects. Think of every CSA box as a little stimulus package that boosts your health AND the health of your community.
We could think of a million more reasons why eating local makes a difference, but we don’t want to keep you from your shopping. Thanks for saving the world one tomato at a time!