Shiitakes contain many of the same amino acids you find in various meats. They’re full of B vitamins and minerals, we could go on, but the gist of it is that, your body will thank you. Never tried em? They’ve got a wild umami taste. You can add them to your stirfries, make a broth, or use them for dashi (instead of fish) and soups.
How To Dry Shiitakes
- shiitakes (any mushroom will do, but we think dried shiitakes are the yummiest)
- Thinly slice your shiitakes.
- Place on a baking sheet such that no slice touches another.
- Leave on top of your radiator for a couple days, or put in the oven on the lowest setting.
- Cook for many hours, until they are dried. Best to keep the oven slightly propped open.
- Cool and jar!