This was easily, without a doubt, the best cornbread we’ve ever had! We used white corn meal from Severson, fire roasted red peppers from our farm and McCluskey Monterey Jack and ate the whole loaf in one sitting. We love Chris’ frozen red peppers and they’re amazing cooked into your favorite loaf breads.
Roasted Red Pepper & Cheese Cornbread
- ¾ cup white cornmeal
- ¾ cup flour
- 3½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter (melted)
- ¼ cup cheese (chopped)
- ½ cup defrosted fire roasted red peppers (chopped)
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 egg
- Mix all of the dry ingredients.
- Mix all the wet ingredients.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredient bowl, and slowly pour in the wet ingredients, mixing while you go.
- Use just 1/4 cup of the peppers, and use the rest to put on top of the loaf after you transfer to a loaf pan. We used parchment paper because it makes our lives easy.
- Cook at 375 for about 45 minutes, or when a toothpick comes out clean. The cheese will be gooey and might obstruct your ability to figure that out, so look for a golden crust formed on top.