You’ve been saving and freezing your veggie scraps. You’ve made your veggie stock. Now, it’s time to make a delicious stew that will spice up your life and load you up with nutrients. This is by no means a traditional recipe for soondubu jiggae, but good gosh is it tasty!
Soft Tofu Stew (soondubu jiggae)
Savory, satisfying, stew of your dreams.
- 1 cup kimchi
- 1/2 cup kimchi liquid
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 scallions, white and green parts chopped separately
- 1 container soft tofu
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- 2 tbsp shoyu
- sunflower oil
- homemade veggie stock
- salt & pepper
- chili crisp
- Heat a few sloshes of sunflower oil in a stockpot, then add in your onions and the white parts of your scallions.
- Once onions and scallions have softened, add your gochujang and garlic, then stir for a few minutes before tumbling in your carrots and kimchi/kimchi liquid.
- Glug in your veggie stock along with the shoyu, then season with salt and pepper and bring everything to a boil.
- Once carrots have softened, add in your soft tofu and a few spoonfuls of chili crisp, letting the tofu heat up and soak in the soupy goodness.
- Spoon servings into bowls, then top with green scallions and more chili crisp if you're wild like that. Heck, add an egg why don't ya!