There is nothing like Chris’ winter spinach, and pesto is one of the most delicious ways to extend its life. You can make pesto in a gazillion ways, so don’t be afraid to experiment. Substitute walnuts for whatever you’ve got lying around, use whichever green is calling you, take the white bread (whoa) or leave it, keep the yogurt or don’t, all you really need are greens, olive oil, nuts and lemon or an acid, a blender, and something yummy to eat it with!
Spinach & Walnut Pesto
- ¼ cup walnuts (toasted)
- 2 slices white bread (crustless)
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup spinach (steamed)
- ½ cup yogurt
- ½ cup Parmesan (grated)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Place walnuts, bread and garlic in a food processor or blender; blend until smooth.
- Blend in spinach, yogurt, Parmesan and oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Extra credit: To toast walnuts: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.