We’re so lucky to work with farms like Mick Klug, and especially around strawberry season. We should admit, most of the strawberries we receive don’t make it far past the colander, but when we’re in a bit of fresh berry overload, we’ll freeze some for a strawberry bread later in the year. There’s a ton of substitutions at your disposal here, and really, any frozen or fresh fruit will work.
- 2 cups strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups sugar (plus an extra tablespoon)
- 3 cups flour (plus 2 tablespoons, you may also substitute half the flour with whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cups apple sauce
- 4 eggs (beaten)
- Grease and flour 2 9×5 inch pans–loaf pans.
- Combine strawberries and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- In another bowl, combine flour, 2 cups of sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Add apple sauce and eggs.
- Add the dry stuff to the wet stuff, mix until blended.
- Dump into loaf pans that have been greased and floured (maybe 1 big and 2 small if you want to share it) and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.